Sunday, August 24, 2014

/vɔɪs/

My aim behind joining the MA English course was to be able to do something with the sense of awareness we already seem to have – of the world, of ourselves. First of all, there’s no point in just being aware unless you can actually put it in the vocabulary that fits it the best. So yeah, I’m working on it.
Awareness alone won’t change things much. It is what you make of it. When I was an on my job, I was often amused to see how people couldn’t or rather did not have an opinion of their own on news and stuff. It was all a given. There’s a beautiful place in Uganda. Yes there is. “Hey! They are facts!” Well…
My awesome sports editor would always insist on making every story my own. He would read my story and say, “Yes, Nadal won. I get it. But where’s YOUR story?” and he would turn away. [so zen noh? :D ]
So that’s when I felt I lacked a voice of my own. I had a room alright, but voice?
My journey hereafter will be about finding my own voice. I realized this in a class [side?] discussion when a professor was talking about writing something "original" for a term/research paper.
In this age of information, it takes a balanced mind to allow for original thoughts. Hey, make space while I find my own voice.... ;)

3 comments:

hisham said...

hey........waiting to hear the essenceofemptiness in it's own voice :D

Shruthi said...

Well :D it's a struggle, to find a voice, isn't it?

hisham said...

yeah....isn't that struggle is to lose all 'losable' voices ? :-D