Friday, July 9, 2010

A Letter to the Father


I recently wrote to my father telling him how much I admire him, love him and respect him. It was a very emotional letter. What most of us forget to do is to thank our parents for everything that they have done to us. From giving birth to watching us smile to giving bath to loving us to being our best friends to being a teacher. They, most certainly, don't expect us to thank them. All that they want is to see us happy.

When I wrote to my father, he replied within an hour saying - What is this? Do you think between father and daughter such formalities and open expression of sentiments really required? After all it is my duty and responsibility to encourage you to do your best - in achieving your goals academically or otherwise.
I was so touched. He went on to say a lot of other things. I could see he was equally touched by my mail.
In my mail I had apologized for all my big and small mistakes i committed knowingly and unknowingly. i apologized for all the crap I have said out of anger.
I thanked him for the culture, morales, ethics and values of life he has instilled in me. I thanked him for being such a great, supportive, inspirational dad.!! I thanked for all that he has done to me throughout. I thanked him for giving me all the freedom in the world and at the same time being strict when required.
I promised him that i will always uphold my principles in life. I promised him not to let him down. I'm indeed his proud daughter!! =)
My father in his mail mentioned that he has high expectations from me. One thing that he didn't miss out as always is my Granny's blessings which is always with me. I'm what I'm today only because of my granny. She's my moral support. Her physical presence might not be felt but I'm sure she's watching me from above. Every time i look at the sky I'm reminded of her and her memories. She's the one who draws me from errors and guides me to the right path!!
Love you Granny!! :)
Love you appa amma!! :) :)

4 comments:

Aviral Shrivastava said...

nice...:)
somehow it takes us a long time to understand such things ...

Shruthi said...

Unfortunately Yes!!

prashant said...

i was feeling lil wary abt the post initially wen i read u've written a letter to your father .. i thought this post wud end up as "i-love-u-so-much-father" sappy sentiments .. but alas.. ur fathers quick n apt reply.. made this post a cut above the rest !
well... tat's wat our fathers do.. give us an edge in life..

very real, very moving ! thumbs up !

Shruthi said...

Thank you so much Prashant!
I wasn't expecting an unknown person to (1) read my blog and (2) post a comment (3) a good positive comment.
thanks again!! =)