Friday, December 28, 2012

and so I turned 20...

“I am blasphemy and religion, pure and impure;
Old, young, and a small child.
If I die, don’t say that she died.
Say she was dead, became alive, and was taken by the Beloved.”

Those were my exact thoughts while I was reflecting and introspecting my life so far. That’s how I want to live my life. What if I were dead this minute? Can I still say ‘I was taken by the Beloved’? I wasn’t sure. So rarely do we recognize that ‘death is an integral part of life’. And such a recognition always happens to me on my birthday. As gloomy as it may seem, I wanted this birthday to be special. I wanted to spend the last few hours of my 19th year all by myself. But I didn’t have anything in particular to do. I had to keep myself awake till 12’o clock. So I picked a book from my shelf and started reading. It was Murakami’s ‘Norwegian Wood’. The protagonists in the book also turn 20 and that’s how the book interested me. Their world didn’t reflect any bit of mine. But I kept reading, I was curious. Before I knew, I had finished half the book. I skipped my dinner thinking it’d eat up the precious last hours of my 19. I was listening to beautiful songs composed by the celebrated Daasaru. Some of the lines effortlessly sum up my life as though that’s all I’m worth – 2 lines!  I was playing ‘kemperit ambaradi’ on loop and played Swarathma’s ‘duur kinara’ every now and then.
The song claims to have found a story. I have made several such bold claims too. Time and again, I have cried at the top of my voice that I have made it HOME. I’d see a door and say ‘I’m home!’ before finding the keys to the lock. Some other times I’d say I’m home looking at an unlocked door which is latched from inside. I’d violently scream to have the door opened but I’d hear not a whisper from inside. My life’s been full of such experiences.

I was sleepy. It was not not even 11 yet. I went back to ‘Norwegian Wood’. The narrator was faintly trying to inspire the reader to think of beauty and happiness. I kept looking at the clock once in a while.

With a mattress in hand, I sneaked out to the terrace. I lay there in the chill looking at the almost-full-moon. The more I looked at the sky, the more number of tiny stars revealed themselves. I was hoping to catch sight of a falling star to make a wish. I waited patiently. I heard dogs howling at a distance while my stomach was growling in hunger. I got up and went back to my room. Tears had long dried up. It was 12:07. I curled up in my bed. ‘My clock is ten minutes fast’, was the last thought to pass by before sleep crept in. and so I turned 20. Happy Birthday to me.

8 comments:

Bharath said...

And den U wrote dis....:D Its was nyc to read it.....:D congos madame....:D Ur already 20.....:D

Jobin Bosco said...

Life has this habit of teaching you something, making you think that you've figured it out, that you've arrived. . and then showing you that it was all rubbish. and you're left back at square one. back to the start. but then its not really the start is it? because something in you is different. you, are different. so you begin, again, but this time, a little wiser, a little more cautious, and a little more humble. coming full circle, they call it. perhaps that is a good thing. and i see life has been doing the same to you. you're not alone. . :)

your life isn't one single life. its many lives, one after the other, many lives wrapped together, intertwined, knotted and tangled. . some threads follow you to the end, others end abruptly, and others begin afresh, while others remain tangled, at times painfully so. but throughout your journey, the question facing you seems to remain, 'who am i'. . and, if you're paying attention, you discover many answers to it.

so. . two decades on this planet, many questions still remain. a few answered. paths abandoned. paths beckoning. choices. lessons. teachers. disciples. but its been good so far hasn't it? everything. the happiness, and strangely enough, the sadness too. savour it all. . the tears and the laughter. the confusion, and the clarity. and one day, the door will appear, and you will walk through it. . and all the veils that have surrounded you will evaporate. but for now, there's more. another 20, and another and another and another. . ?

onward then. you're ready. you always have been. and you're not alone. . you never have been. happy birthday. . :)

Shruthi said...

Bharath, :) sadly, yes! 20 I am! :D

Shruthi said...

Jobin, if I really could, I would have replaced my post with your comment. :)
There was this line written behind an auto.it's so cliched, it's not even funny! :D but it's kinda true if you think of it. it said, 'be alone to be happy, be happy to be alone.'

Deepika said...

What do I say! I only wish I could see through the world this way when I was 20! You're blessed. Happy birthday once again! :)

Shruthi said...

thanks again Deepika! :)

Jobin Bosco said...

:D :D . .the poor dude got dumped maybe. or has an impossible wife/girlfriend. . :P

auto drivers are an interesting bunch. . :) the things they get to see every day. i was thinking. . how many people would the average auto driver see on an average day. different kinds of people. and the things they do. the things they say. and there he is, watching, observing, not two feet away. and how many of us pay attention to him? :)

i wonder what an auto driver knows. if it were all put in a book, it would make an interesting read. . :) i'd read it, anyway. . :P

and, what you wrote, is the source. it needs to be there. . :)

Unknown said...

u turned 20???

woah.... dont knw how to react... anyways.. gud luck..!!!