Friday, December 21, 2012

To life, honesty and beyond!

We all have a choice. I’m talking about the simple things in life. Right now, it’s my choice whether to write or not. I also get to choose what I want to write. Similarly, I get to choose what I want to see in a person. I can, by all means, look at a person as a selfish creature or choose to see the diamond within.
Since its Christmas time, my class at the university decided to look at the good things in life and people around us. So, each of us chose to say NICE things about each other with as much conviction possible. The person on the spot got to hear all the flowery things from everyone in class, professors included. It was that kind of an exercise where none of us were looking to please or compete. I for one was trying to recollect the memories I have had with the others in class which was in itself a feel good experience. We were all looking for the right words to express certain things that we really couldn’t and ended up saying how everyone loves everyone. That’s what matters at the end of the day, isn’t it? There’s so much goodness in the world that we don’t really have to look for the negatives and ruin our wonderful time here.
In spite of feeling very close to everyone in class, I also felt a degree of detachment. Not in the sense that I felt lonely, but when I heard beautiful sentences thrown at me, I could see how nothing else matters but beauty and Truth. It’s astonishing how so many people had so many great things to say about you. I’m extremely happy not only because I was assured that the world likes me but because we are all capable of seeing goodness in the world. This goodness is beyond comprehension but is very evident for those who choose to see it.
Frankly, when we started the whole activity, I thought we’ll all end up cooking beautiful lies about each other. But it turned out to be entirely different. I didn’t see a single pretentious soul there. Each had the honesty that we always thrive to live up to. I realised how important everyone you meet in your life actually is. We might not consciously notice it but we are all impacted by the people in our lives at some level. And I’m extremely thankful for everyone being who they are. Now I know what it means to spread Love and Light.
Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.
Rumi

No comments: