Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Natural Silence [1]

“Why are you so silent all the time?” - I was recently asked by my classmate. I didn't know what to say. But I did say something silly like – “why do you eat all the time?” :D well, he stays away from home so he kind of longs for home food and he can't be blamed. Coming back, I actually didn't know why I was silent all the time. In college, people think I’m a loner. Many of them have been very sweet to come up to me and ask if everything was okay. A few think I prefer solitude over company [that I do to a certain extent]. Honestly, that’s not my intention.

Earlier, I used to be all by myself going to the library –> reading 5-6 newspapers. Yes, I used to be alone but not quiet. I used to have a non-stop internal dialogue. Like say, the editorial of this paper is better than that or say, I like this columnist better. Such conversations used to go on forever. It can get very frustrating when you are that restless. Somewhere deep down I knew it was all a waste of time.

However, what I have noticed these days is that I don’t converse in my mind at all! I find it fascinating because that was my only pre-occupation for such a long time. Now, I feel more comfortable with my thoughts. I don’t argue with them. I let them be and they gradually disappear. It’s amazing the way it works. I don’t really practice meditation regularly (I meditate on alternate days – not ideal I know) and I still can feel this magic unraveling. It’s truly marvelous. I just don’t feel like talking. Not that I don’t like people. I, if truth be told, want to connect with people – not at the level of hugging and talking and having long conversations – but I love to connect with the heart of the other which feels so pure. Yeah, it’s not as simple as it sounds. I try to put it in practice and I can clearly feel strong resistance from all sides. And that’s the reason I prefer places where there are more trees and less people in my college campus because trees don’t resist. They just open up and love you unconditionally. There are some incredibly beautiful trees in my campus. I feel so good when I spend time just observing the different shades of green and OMG!! the cool breeze, the high vibrations…need I say more?

I’m not defending myself for what I do. I don’t see the need to. I’m writing this because who knows, many of you out there might actually resonate with what I have got to say. Sometimes it’s so reassuring to see people like you; to know you are not alone. Well, if you are one of those you needn’t worry. Don’t TRY too hard to match up with others. Just be yourself. And always remember you are a diamond soul. If you like being alone, close to nature, in a garden, hugging trees – what are you waiting for? Do it right away!! But then if you come across like-minded people, hang out with them. That will make you feel maaagical because there's a lot of sharing that happens. You share your knowledge and love, and you'll have positive vibrations all around you.

I made a decision this morning. I'm going to meditate everyday. Come what may I'm going to sit in my room or go out to the park and say hello to the beautiful plants and meditate for a few minutes. I've decided to meditate twice a day. I totally believe in the wonders of meditation. For those of you who are skeptic about it well, try it once. You have nothing to loose, right? =) Let's go into deep meditation to experience abundant peace and joy. Don’t disturb your natural silence. Aum.

- Lots of love and peace to all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

iLike - very much. If there is one thing I have - I would say - gained after having come to India is the discovery of solitude and its bliss. It's funny how with all this noise I managed to encounter this, but to me I think it comes down to being away from obligations and responsibility. i.e.- The only being studying!

Also, having worked for a newspaper before I joined College, I have a tad bit of advise to you: don't ever find reading news or making yourself aware on what's happening in the world, a waste of time. I think newspapers are becoming a dying culture. Print media is much better than electronic media - debatable I agree - and being aware of the practicality of things never went wrong for anybody :)

Shruthi said...

There is, of course, a lot of noise here and with it a sort of stillness. Order in chaos I guess.
I'm not undermining the power of newspaper. I'll probably be working in print media, a couple of years from now. My views on newspapers have changed ever since I have discovered the reality. I'll perhaps write an article in response to your comment.
Thank you for reading Senashia :)

Anonymous said...

My friend from Norway used to call it organised chaos :)

I didn't say that you were undermining the newspaper love, it was a statement made in response to "Somewhere deep down I knew it was all a waste of time." - End of paragraph two.

I enjoy blogging whenever I can, and in a non-patronising sense - appreciate work of fellow bloggers too :)

Shruthi said...

I don't think I got my message across - Somewhere deep down I knew it was all a waste of time. -- I was referring to the internal dialogue more than newspapers...

I too like reading blogs...the moment Shobana ma'am mentioned your blog I wanted to read! and I like it very much orange girl :)